Sunday, October 19, 2014

Writing Hang-ups

Last weekend I attended a writer’s conference, and I came home completely energized, full of ideas, ready to write and submit my work for publication. There’s just one small complication: that’s all I want to do, but there are so many other things I must do. Like laundry. And dishes. And preparing meals for my family. Oh, and the small matter of these galleys that have been sitting on my desk for several days now and that I am supposed to be proofreading. Except the author attempted to use the plural noun “architects” as a verb (shudder) and did not know the difference between the noun insight and its verbal homonym incite (double shudder). And I know that’s why I do what I do, but right at this moment I don’t feel like it. I’m still back there with all my word people throwing around heady ideas like creating believable emotion in prose and writing theological memoir. I want to be writing my own stuff, not reading someone else's.

So I decided I’d write this blog post because, hey, at least I’m writing something. And  maybe…just maybe…spilling these thoughts onto a page will help me come down off the conference high long enough to actually get some work done.