Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

I want to give a big thanks to the Breathe Writer's Conference for inviting me to share my thoughts on why writers need to include more poetry in our literary diet. You can check out my guest blog this week at http://breatheconference.com/home/featured-articles/tis-the-season-to-read-poetry.html.

Christmas is a great time to fall in love with poetry. Or if you're a poetry lover like me, it's a time to revisit old favorites. Here is a list of 25 of my favorite Christmas poems so far (and in no particular order):

George Herbert, “Christmas”
William Blake, “The Lamb”
C. S. Lewis, “The Nativity”
T. S. Eliot, “Journey of the Magi” and “A Song for Simeon”
e.e. cummings, “little tree”
Luci Shaw:
    “Virgin” (in Writing the River)
    “Perfect Christmas Tree” (in Writing the River)
    “The Overshadow” (in Writing the River)
    “Some Christmas Stars” (in Postcard from the Shore)
    “Mary’s Song” (in Listen to the Green)
Madeleine L’Engle:
    “Tree at Christmas”
    “Song of Simeon”
    “Annunciation” & “After Annunciation”
    “Like Every Newborn”
    “The Risk of Birth, Christmas, 1973”
    “First Coming”
    “The Wise Men”

You'll notice my list is heavily weighted toward the Christmas poetry of Luci Shaw & Madeleine L'Engle. That's because (a) they are my poetry heroes, and (b) I believe these two, more than any other poets, understand and are able to convey the redemptive truth of Christmas as well as the poignance of the characters that make up the New Testament narratives. If you want to gorge yourself on nothing but their Christmas poems, I recommend their book WinterSong: Christmas Readings,
http://www.amazon.com/WinterSong-Christmas-Readings-Madeleine-LEngle/dp/1573833320/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418662409&sr=1-1&keywords=luci+shaw+madeleine+l%27engle

Have a blessed Christmas, one and all, filled with the poetic whimsy of this beautiful season!

(Oh, and just in case you need some light-hearted silliness for Boxing Day…read “Santa andthe Reindeer” by Shel Silverstein.)