Friday, October 3, 2008

Amazing Grace


When I visited England in the summer of 1996, I had the privilege of visiting the Parish Church of Sts. Peter and Paul in Olney, Buckinghamshire. This is the first church that John Newton served as pastor. He spent seventeen years at Olney, during which time he wrote a collection of hymns, the most famous of which is “Amazing Grace.” One of my favorite England memories is standing at the communion rail of the Olney church and singing “Amazing Grace” in four-part harmony with my friends.

Several years ago I read Out of the Depths, a biography of John Newton that includes a reprint of his own Authentic Narrative. Having grown up hearing the story of the slave trader turned preacher, I’m thankful I took the time to read it for myself, especially Newton’s own words.

Earlier this year Sean surprised me with a new biography of Newton written by Jonathan Aitken. John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace (Crossway, 2007) is the most detailed account of Newton’s life that you’ll ever read. Drawing from Newton’s published writings as well as his unpublished journals and papers, Aitken traces one soul’s attempt to flee a God who was hot on his heels.

Newton, by his own admission, was a most despicable character in the beginning. And even after he cried out to God for mercy in the middle of a north Atlantic gale, it was a long journey from the decks of a slave ship to the pulpit of a church and the halls of British Parliament. There he gave a detailed account of his experience in the slave trade. His graphic testimony of the horrors he witnessed and took part in aided his friend William Wilberforce in abolishing the British slave trade.

Aitken gives an accurate and moving account of Newton’s struggle toward conversion and his passionate life of faith thereafter. He writes with genuine understanding, offering a real look at one of God’s works in progress. I look forward to one day meeting the finished product when my own course is run. When that day comes, I hope my attitude will echo Newton’s dying words: “My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior.” Perhaps what made this biography so special for me was that visit to Olney all those years ago. I commented to Sean that I wish I’d done more reading about Newton before I went there…I just had no idea. No matter. One day I hope to go back to Olney with my family and enjoy the peace of that place. When I do I’ll pay another visit to the monument that marks John & Mary Newton’s final resting place. There I’ll offer thanksgiving to God for the grace he has shown in their lives and in mine.

No comments: